• City of Tacoma QA
  • City of Tacoma OpenData

Private Side Sewers

Side Sewer Availability Manual

The City of Tacoma updated the Side Sewer and Sanitary Sewer Availability Manual. If you have any questions please call (253) 591-5030, option 3, or send us an email.

2021 Side Sewer and Sanitary Sewer Availability Manual

What is a private side sewer?

A side sewer, also known as a lateral sewer or private connection, carries wastewater from a home or business's toilets and drains to the City's main sewer line, where it continues to a wastewater treatment plant. Side sewers almost always extend into the street.

Who is responsible for the maintenance of side sewers?

The maintenance of a side sewer, from the building to the City main, is the responsibility of the property owner. The City's responsibility is the maintenance of the sewer main, including the tees, yes and risers at the main.

How do I find information about my side sewer?

The City has permit records for some, but not all, of the properties in Tacoma. To research City of Tacoma permit records, visit GovMe or call Environmental Services at (253) 591-5030, option 3.  For step-by-step instructions on how to find permit records on the GovMe website, download View and Print Side Sewer Inspection Cards.

Are you buying or selling a home?

As of December 1, 2010, and in accordance with Tacoma Municipal Code Chapter 12.08B.530, real estate professional are required to provide a side sewer educational flyer to buyers and sellers they are representing prior to the closing of a property.

Real estate professionals, this is the Buyer and Seller flyer you need.

Are you building an addition or performing a major remodel?

As of December 1, 2010, and in accordance with Tacoma Municipal Code, Chapter 12.08.720, the City of Tacoma will provide a side sewer educational flyer to permit applicants recommending a property owner locate and determine the condition of a side sewer before building additions or improvements over the existing side sewer.