• City of Tacoma QA
  • City of Tacoma OpenData

The Master Film Permit Application Process

How much does it cost to apply for a Master Film permit?
The application processing fee depends upon whether you are a commercial production company or a current student with appropriate identification. However, there may be other costs associated with your event. These costs may include, but are not limited to, police services, sanitation services, additional permits such as barricade and street occupancy. See Fee Schedules to determine your processing fee. 

How long will it take to issue the final permit? 
It is generally understood that film production has short lead times, and our office makes every effort to accommodate expedited processing. To that end, make sure you have all of your information complete before submitting your application. This includes your certificate of insurance, processing fee and confirmed shoot location. 

Do I have to pay the application fee and provide the certificate of insurance when I turn in my application?
No. However, the fee and certificate of insurance are required prior to issuance of the final permit.

What if I am just shooting B-roll or taking still shots?
To decide if you will be required to obtain a permit call our office at (253) 573-2523 to discuss your plans. It only takes a brief conversation to determine the most appropriate next steps.

Do I need a City of Tacoma business license to film in Tacoma?
You may need to obtain the appropriate licensing. It is your responsibility to contact the Tax and License Department to review your requirements. Call (253) 591-5252 for more information and direction.