The City of Tacoma has an established Heavy Haul Industrial Corridor in the Port of Tacoma.
A special permit is available to accommodate vehicles in excess of the legal weight limits moving between Transload Facilities and Marine Terminals.
- Freight must be in a sealed ocean-going container
- Vehicle must be in route between a transload facility and a marine terminal
- Travel only on established routes
- Minimum axle spacing of 36 feet between consecutive sets of tandem axles
- Maximum gross weight of 98,000 pounds
- 43,000 pound maximum on tandem drive axles
- 40,000 pound maximum on tandem trailer axles
- Cost of annual permit: $3,000.00
- A State permit is required for S.R. 509