• City of Tacoma QA
  • City of Tacoma Data


How does a pet license benefit my pet and me?

Found pets can be reunited quickly with their owner.  License fees also help to fund the cost of shelter and medical care for lost pets.  In addition license fee helps to pay for animal control services.   To report a found pet, please call us at (253) 627-PETS (7387).   

Where is the Animal Licensing office located and what hours do you operate?

The Animal Licensing office is located at 747 Market Street, Room 212, Tacoma WA 98402.  We are open Monday - Friday from 8 AM until 5 PM excluding holidays.


How do I contact Animal Control?

Call (253) 627-PETS (7387).  You will be required to leave a message.  An officer will return your call as soon as possible.  

How long is a license good for?

The license will remain in force for a period of 12 months from the date of issuance and expire on the last day of the the month. The applicant will be furnished with a permanent metal tag that is required to be worn by the cat or dog at all times. The exception to this law is that cats need not display a license tag if the cat is licensed and has been implanted with a microchip for which the number is registered with the City. The microchip must be acceptable and readable by the animal control officer.

Is the Humane Society still sheltering lost and found animals?

The Humane Society will continue to offer the same vital programs and services to the community, including adoptions, education, nursing home visitations, spay/neuter programs, community outreach and pet behavior assistance.

What are the licensing fees?

Tacoma Fees
Fircrest Fees

My pet's license tag was lost, how much is a replacement?

Replacement tags are free for the first occurrence within the one year renewal period.  Additional replacements, after this first replacement, will cost $5 for City of Tacoma residents.  Replacement tags for City of Fircrest residents are $5.  If you are a senior citizen or meet disability requirements, your pet's replacement tag is only $2.

How do you determine that a dog is dangerous or potentially dangerous?

Several criteria are considered before a dog is determined to be dangerous or potentially dangerous.  RCW 16.08.070 Dangerous dogs and related definitions are adopted by reference in the Tacoma Municipal Code Title 17 .  For the City of Fircrest, Dangerous dogs and related definitions are adopted by reference in the City of Fircrest Municipal Code Title 7.

What should I do if I suspect someone is being cruel to, or neglecting, a pet?

If you suspect neglect of a pet that is causing suffering, collect pertinent information such as the person's name, address, phone, description of the animal(s), a brief history of the situation and any other specifics such as the exact location where the animal(s) can be found. Then call The City of Tacoma Animal Care and Control to report it. If you are witnessing deliberate cruelty causing severe injury or death to an animal, call 911 and request police intervention.

What do I do if my neighbor's pets get loose and creates a nuisance?

Call Tacoma Animal Care and Control immediately at (253) 627-PETS (7387) and request that an officer investigate your compliant. If violations of local ordinances are found, the pet owner may be cited or the animal(s) may be taken in to custody. If this occurs, the owner must pay the fees and/or penalties when redeeming the animal from the animal shelter. When serious violations are reported such as animal cruelty or dangerous animals, you may need to be willing to testify in court. Additionally, Animal Care and Control Officers may need to ask you to help establish additional evidence (i.e. testimony from neighbors) so they may take enforcement action. If there is no immediate danger to you or others around you, please fill out the online service request form available soon.

How do I appeal if my dog is determined to be dangerous or potentially dangerous?

Please visit the Tacoma Municpal Code for specific instructions.