• City of Tacoma QA
  • City of Tacoma OpenData


Animal Control Complaints


Animal complaints can be filed online through TacomaFIRST 311. Please note: All complaints are subject to Public Disclosure if not submitted anonymously.

To file a complaint over the phone call (253) 627-7387 and select option 2.


Animal Issue
Issues such as Abandoned/Neglected/Barking or Deceased Animals. Aggressive animals may be sign of neglect or a potentially dangerous dog. 


Coyote Sighting


Leash Law Violation

All dogs are required to be on a leash no longer than eight feet or confined to their owner's property at all times.  The only exception provided for the leash law ordinance is if the dog is in a designated off-leash area.  Dogs roaming free are in violation of the leash law ordinance.  They may be seized or impounded by City of Tacoma Animal Care and Control officers.  Owners of dogs running loose may receive a summons or a fine. There is no leash law for cats.   


Scoop Law Violation

You may take walks with your pet.  Along the way your pet might do a little something on the sidewalk.  Make sure to scoop up the poop and dispose of it in the garbage in a sealed plastic bag.  No matter how big or small the deposit, it will pollute our waters.  Pet waste has harmful bacteria in it that contributes to water quality problems, possibly in your neighborhood.  With all the pets it adds up, so do your part to clean it up.  The scooper pooper law does not apply to a “guide” or “service” dog, as now or hereafter defined in RCW 70.84, while the dog is in harness.


At home and on walks: scoop poop, bag it, and dispose of it in the garbage.

Are you seeing an increase in pet waste building up in your neighborhood? Become a Pet Waste Station Sponsor! Visit the Prevent Stormwater Pollution web page for program details and application materials.


Wild Animals

Coyotes, opossums, and raccoons are just some of the wildlife becoming more visible now that we are building structures in their natural habitat.


For wild animal issues contact the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife.
For wild animals that you suspect may be injured, please contact PAWS Wildlife Center or Sarvey Wildlife Center.