• City of Tacoma QA
  • City of Tacoma Data

Provisional Rental Property FAQ's

What is the Provisional Rental Property License?

The provisional license is a three year license that the City requires of residential property owners if their property is found to be endangering the health or safety of tenants.   One of the requirements of the provisional license is a certificate of inspection that will demonstrate that their property does not endanger the health or safety of tenants. The provisional license is based on State Legislation adopted in 2010 and consistent with the Landlord-Tenant Act.


Who does it affect? Do I have to apply for a Provisional Property License?

The provisional license is not required for all rental property owners. If the City receives a complaint about the property and upon an exterior and/or interior inspection of the building the condition meets a sub-standard condition according to the minimum building structures code, a provisional license will be required.  Property owners will be contacted by the City if their property needs a Provisional Rental Property License.


The Provisional Rental Property License is in addition to any requirements that the City's Neighborhood Community Services (NCS) Department may require of the property owner (i.e. substandard housing or derelict building declaration) and the property owner may receive notifications from both NCS and Tax & License.  


How do I obtain additional information?

To ensure your property meets the standards set forth in the State Landlord Tenant Act, Title 59, Section 59.18.060, review the Guide to Residential Rental Inspection


Do I need a residential inspector?  

If you have been notified that you need to obtain a Provisional Rental Property License and need a residential inspection conducted the City has a list of qualified inspectors that have taken the City of Tacoma training class.  The class reviews the requirements of the Provisional Rental Property License and what to look for during an inspection.  You may also obtain your own inspector as long as they meet the criteria of a qualified inspector defined in Tacoma Municipal Code 6B.165.


What if I am an inspector?

To be added to the City’s list of inspectors, please contact the Code Enforcement Supervisor at (253) 591-2047 for more information. Inspectors should use the Provisional Rental License Residential Inspection form.