• City of Tacoma QA
  • City of Tacoma OpenData

Food Trucks

Mobile Food Truck Program - Operating on City Right of Way 

The City of Tacoma and the Tacoma Pierce County Health Department (TPCHD) have partnered to create a program for food truck owners to commercially operate their mobile food trucks on City right of way, at identified pre-approved locations throughout the City. 


Pre-Approved Locations for Licensed Food Truck Vendors:
  • Baker St (front of Dystopian Brewery): Thurs-Sat 3:00 pm-9:00 pm; Sunday 1:00pm 6:00pm
  • In front of 1119 Tacoma Ave S: 10:00 am 3:0pm
  • South 11th at A Street: 6:0pm 10:00 pm
  • Broadway at Pierce Transit Park: 10:0am 3:00 pm or 6:0pm 10:00 pm
  • E 25th St at C St: 6:0pm 10:0pm
  • Puyallup Ave (near Greyhound station): 6:00 pm 10:00 p
  • Parking spaces in front of 1201 Pacific Ave: Mon-Tues 10:00 am – 3:00 pm

Food Truck Application Requirements


checklist has been created to guide food truck operators through the application process of obtaining a Health Department Permit and then a City Food Truck License.


Health Department Permit

A Mobile Unit Permit is applied for and approved by the TPCHD. In addition, Sales Site Agreements are required to be submitted to and approved by the TPCHD. Food truck operators are responsible for identifying usable restrooms (defined in the Sales Site Agreement) and obtaining permission and signatures from property or business owners to use the restrooms. Food trucks are not allowed to operate without this approved agreement. Contact TPCHD for assistance with the Sales Site Agreement Application process and information about annual food truck licensing.

City Food Truck License

A new City regulatory license was created that allows mobile food trucks or trailers to legally operate curb side at select zones in the city limits of Tacoma. The requirements of the license include commercial liability insurance, a copy of the TPCHD Mobile Unit Permit and Sales Site Agreements and an inspection of the vehicle by the Fire Department. This regulatory license is in addition to your annual Tacoma Business License and your annual Health Department Mobile Unit Permit. Contact the City of Tacoma Tax & License Office for assistance with the Food Truck license application process, cost, and how to apply. 


New Location Request


Special Event Permit

Food trucks that would like to operate at a location that is not pre-approved can still obtain a permit from the City for temporary, single, or multi-day use in association with a Special Event or private party. Contact the City of Tacoma Venues and Events to obtain a Special Event permit.


New Zones

Don’t see a location that will work for your business? Tacoma has established a process for food truck operators and/or citizens to request new locations. This process ensures the public is aware of and has been allowed to comment regarding new zones being proposed. Please see the Food Truck Location Request form and the Tacoma Municipal Code (TMC) Chapter 6B.175 Food Trucks for more information.


Email the completed location request form to licenseinfo@cityoftacoma.org or drop it off at the Tacoma Municipal Building, 747 Market Street, Room 220, Monday - Wednesday, 8 AM to 5 PM.

Established Locations-Enforcement

To file a complaint regarding an existing zone, call 311 or visit the City’s TacomaFIRST 311 website.