• City of Tacoma QA
  • City of Tacoma OpenData


Landlord and Tenant Ordinance

Tenant Rights Ordinance

Tacoma’s Tenant Rights Ordinance is a new law. It requires residential property owners in Tacoma to give a 90-day written notice before ending a month-to-month rental agreement if the housing unit will be demolished, changed in use, renovated or have certain restrictions removed. View a full copy of Ordinance 28508.


Does this Ordinance Apply to me?

  • Housing unit will be demolished, changed in use, substantially rehabilitated or from which use restrictions are to be removed, AND
  • Rental agreement is month-to-month

Frequently Asked Questions


When does the law go into effect?

The new law takes effect on May 14, 2018. The law will end on September 30, 2018. The City may extend the requirements.

Who is affected?

The law applies to residential property owners and renters who have a month-to-month rental.

What types of residential property are included in the ordinance?

All types of rental housing are included.

What happens if a termination notice is issued with less than a 90-day notice after the law goes into effect?

If the property owner violates the law, they could be fined $1,000 per day, per housing unit, for each day from the date the violation began until the requirements of the law are met.

What is the Landlord/Tenant Meeting Requirement?

The law requires the landlord to meet with renters at least ten (10) days prior to the 90-day notice being delivered. A landlord has to give at least seven (7) days advance notice of the meeting to each tenant.

How do renters file a complaint?

Complaints may be filed by contacting the City by phone at 311 or (253)591-5000, or in-person at 747 Market St., Room 220, Tacoma, WA 98402. 

Can a renter file a complaint after they have moved out?

Yes. If a renter feels that a termination notice they received from their landlord, dated May 14, 2018 or after, did not meet the requirements of the law, they may file a complaint with City.

Does the law include assistance?

No, moving assistance is not included in the law. United Way of Pierce County does offer moving assistance. You can contact them by dialing 211.

Tenant Legal Services

Volunteer Legal Services offers free legal advice about the State-Residential Landlord Tenant Act. You can contact them at (253) 572-5134 or vls@tacomaprobono.org.

Contact Us

747 Market Street
Room #212
Tacoma, WA 98402
(253) 591-5000 or 311


TacomaFIRST 311