• City of Tacoma QA
  • City of Tacoma Data

Food/Yard Waste

COVID-19 Face Masks or Cloth Face Coverings Notification

The state has issued an order directing businesses to require and enforce the use of face coverings by all customers and visitors. With this order, all visitors to the Tacoma Recovery and Transfer Center must wear a face mask until further notice. Learn more on the three face cover orders in place.


For the latest updates and service changes, visit cityoftacoma.org/solidwaste.


The Recovery and Transfer Center is not currently accepting any self-haul garbage or yard waste loads from outside the city limits of Tacoma. Residential customers must have an active solid waste residential collection account serviced by the City of Tacoma and be able to prove residency. Read the full announcement.

Customers that do not reside within the city of Tacoma can visit lriservices.com or call (253) 847-7555 for more information about transfer stations outside of Tacoma. King County facilities are no longer accepting self-haul customers from outside of King County.

Customers Who Have Questions About These Changes Can Contact: 
solidwaste@cityoftacoma.org or call (253) 502-2100  


Food/Yard Waste Flyers

The following food and yard waste flyers are available to view, print, or download:


Food Yard Waste Flyer PreviewEnglish (8.5"x11")  -  English (11"x17")

Spanish (8.5"x11")  -  Spanish (11"x17")

Korean (8.5"x11")  -  Korean (11"x17")

Vietnamese (8.5"x11")  -  Vietnamese (11"x17")

Khmer (8.5"x11")  -  Khmer (11"x17")

Russian (8.5"x11")  -  Russian (11"x17")




Food and yard waste make up a third of Tacoma’s garbage. Reducing the amount of food/yard waste you throw away may mean you can downsize your garbage container and that can save you money.

Sign up for food and yard waste services by calling (253) 502-2100. If you already have food/yard waste services in your plan, getting started is easy! Just place any unwanted or unused food in your brown bins along with your normal yard waste.


Tips for Reducing Odors and Pests - especially during hot weather.


Please note that compostable bags are not accepted.




View the Food/Yard Waste Guide


Residential yard/food is picked up on the opposite weeks of garbage and recycling. There is no extra charge to receive bi-weekly collection of up to two 90-gallon brown yard/food waste containers. A third yard/food container is available for $3/month.

Residential customers may also take yard waste directly to the Tacoma Recovery & Transfer Center.


Commercial customers are now able to take advantage of the food and yard waste program. This program helps businesses and multi-family dwellings of three or more units become more sustainable by reducing the waste we send to the landfill and processing organic materials into compost and TAGRO, nutrient-rich soil amendments. For more information, visit our Commercial Food Waste page.

We offer various services levels. Call us at (253) 502-2100 for a solid waste service representative to help you decide on the best option.

For a full list of fees, visit our rates page.

Acceptable Food/Yard Waste

Yard Waste

  • Leaves
  • Grass clippings
  • Prunings
  • Weeds/roots (dirt shaken off)
  • Branches (broken down to fit in the container)
  • Bark, including clean and beauty bark

Food Waste

  • Vegetable and fruit scraps, peelings
  • Grains, pasta, cereal, bread
  • Leftovers
  • Coffee grounds, tea bags
  • Meat, fish and dairy products
  • Spoiled food