Call to Artists
For more details see the full Call to Artists.
Opportunity 1 – Exterior Mural: $8,000, all-inclusive
Opportunity 2 – Decorative Gate: $12,000, all-inclusive
May 1, 2017, 11:59 PM
- Applicant(s) must live within the official city limits of Tacoma, WA
- Panel will prioritize applicant(s) with a connection to the Hilltop community
- Applicant(s) can apply as a single artist or as an artist team
- Applicant(s) must be 18 years or older and not a full-time student
- Applicant(s) cannot be a member of the Tacoma Arts Commission, an employee of the City of Tacoma, or serve on the Tacoma Community Redevelopment Authority board
- Applicant(s) can apply for and be considered for one or both of the public art opportunities outlined in this call
People who are members of historically disenfranchised racial, ethnic, cultural, and other identity groups are encouraged to apply.
The Tacoma Community Redevelopment Authority, in partnership with the City of Tacoma, is seeking two artists and/or artist teams to create artwork for two different opportunities at Valhalla Hall: an exterior mural and an exterior gate. The artworks should add interest and character to the building and enliven the entry experience for residents and visitors. Artists may apply for both opportunities, however a separate set of images and question responses need to be submitted for each opportunity.
Valhalla Hall is located at 1216 Martin Luther King Jr. Way in the Hilltop neighborhood of Tacoma, WA.
| May 1, 2017, 11:59 PM
||Deadline for applications
| May 15, 2017
| Week of May 22, 2017
||Finalist interviews and selection of artists/artist teams
| December 2017
||Installation of artwork
*All dates subject to change
Eligible artists and artist teams interested in this opportunity must submit the following three items via Submittable: https://tacomaarts.submittable.com/submit
1. Short Responses
Responses to the following questions (200 words or less each):
- Why are you interested in this project?
- What would make you a successful candidate for this project?
- What are your connections to the Hilltop neighborhood?
2. Work Samples with Descriptions
- Six to ten digital images of past work with concise descriptions. If available, work samples should include documentation of similar past public projects. Artist teams are encouraged to submit work that was previously completed as a team. Submit only high quality JPEG files.
Three pages or less. Artist teams should submit a resume for each artist.
Contact Naomi Strom-Avila at (253) 591-5191 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.