As Media and Communications Director, Gwen Schuler leads the City of Tacoma's marketing, public relations, media relations and internal communications efforts by driving the delivery of accurate and timely information about the City of Tacoma through a variety of multimedia outlets. She also develops and executes strategies to promote government transparency and encourage civic engagement.
Schuler joined the City of Tacoma in 2012 from San Antonio, Texas, where she served as the director of communications for the San Antonio Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, senior public information officer for the City of San Antonio's Communications and Public Affairs Department, and program coordinator for the Mental Health Association in Greater San Antonio, Texas.
Schuler is a graduate of St. Edward's University in Austin, Texas, where she received a bachelor of arts degree in communications. She is a member of the International City-County Management Association, the National Forum for Black Public Administrators, City-County Communications and Marketing Association, Public Relations Society of America and the American Marketing Association.
- B.A. in Communications from St. Edward’s University, Austin, Texas
- Graduate of the Senior Executive Leadership Institute through the University of Virginia
- International City-County Management Association
- National Forum for Black Public Administrators
- City-County Communications and Marketing Association
- Public Relations Society of America
- American Marketing Association