Interested in making Tacoma greener? Adopting a tree will provide shade for your house or street, increase property values, improve air quality, and help beautify your neighborhood. Gather your neighbors and apply for a free street tree through the TreeStreetNW residential street tree program!
This program is designed to help beautify neighborhoods through community building planting projects and increase Tacoma's canopy coverage. Starting September 14, 2016, Tacoma residents can apply for a free street tree that they can plant in the right-of-way in front of their property. Signed and completed applications must be postmarked or received via email by Friday, October 28.
- The TreeStreetNW application form must be used; other forms will not be accepted
- Only applications submitted beginning Wednesday, September 14 and postmarked or received via email by October 28, 2016 will be considered
- TAGRO soil and mulch will be provided for each tree
- These trees are for the right-of-way only
- First come, first served while supplies lasts
- A minimum of ten trees and three participating property owners within a one-block distance per application must be ordered. No applications will be accepted with fewer than ten trees per delivery site.
- Applications will be reviewed in the order received, so make sure to get your applications in early
- All deliveries will be coordinated with the designated applicant or community liaison during normal working days and hours, unless otherwise mutually agreed upon. If the Neighborhood Council has arranged for a planting day for your area, deliveries will be arranged based on that event schedule for all participating residents.
- Species are limited to availability at the time of applying. Review the tree list for the current availability. Make sure to indicate an alternative tree species in case your first choice is not available. If both the first choice and alternative species selected are not available, no tree(s) will be reserved for the applicant.
- One of the goals of this program is to increase tree canopy coverage in Tacoma. Therefore to receive a tree through this program, in the planting strips without power lines overhead or for planting strips that are greater than six-feet wide, trees must have a mature height greater than 35 - 40 feet. This doesn't mean that those trees can't be planted; it means that they cannot be obtained through this program.
- Tree Care Agreements must be signed by all participating property owners.
How to Participate
- Download the 2016 TreeStreetNW Application
- Gather at least three participating property owners/properties within one block with the appropriate space available in the right-of-way to plant at least ten trees
- Each participant MUST call 811 for a utility locate (just dial 811-- it may affect how many trees you are able to order). This is required by law before you dig.
- Select your first and alternate choice of tree species from the available tree list (ensure that the tree is appropriate for your planting strip)
- Check with your Neighborhood Council to see if they have arranged a local planting day for participants in this program. It could be a great opportunity to meet your neighbors and help each other beautify your neighborhood.
- Submit the completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it to:
City of Tacoma, Environmental Services
326 East D Street
Tacoma, WA 98421-1801
If you have any questions, contact us via email or by phone at (253) 502-2244.