Tacoma’s National Pollution Discharge Elimination System Permit
The SWMP requirements are listed in the City of Tacoma's National Pollutant Discharge Eliminations System (NPDES) Municipal Stormwater Permit, which regulates the discharge of stormwater from the City's storm system to surface and ground waters. This program guides the storm drainage system operations of the City through the end of this NPDES permit term (2018).
Tacoma’s Stormwater Management Program is designed to meet the requirements set forth by the NPDES permit and contains multiple elements including storm system mapping and maintenance, permitting and inspecting new construction projects, source control inspections, spill response, illicit discharge investigations, and public education.
The Goals of the City of Tacoma Stormwater Management Program
- Manage surface water to minimize flooding, erosion and contamination.
- Mitigate the impacts of increased runoff from urbanization.
- Manage runoff from developed properties and those under development.
- Protect the health, safety and welfare of the public.
- Correct or mitigate existing water quality problems.
- Restore and maintain the chemical, physical and biological integrity of waters in the city for
the protection of beneficial uses.
- Develop and put into place a cost-effective, affordable surface water management program.
- Educate the public about what they can do to help keep our waters clean.
To give us the needed authority to comply with our NPDES permit, the City passed an ordinance that regulates surface water and wastewater within city limits. This ordinance, known as Chapter 12.08 of the Tacoma Municipal Code, prohibits introducing any matter except clean storm and surface water into storm drains.
For more information about the NPDES permit program or our compliance with it, please call Surface Water Management at (253) 591-5588.
Stormwater Management Program
The City of Tacoma Stormwater Management Program (SWMP) was last updated in 2010 to meet 2007 NPDES Permit requirements.
NPDES Municipal Stormwater Permit Submittals
The City of Tacoma has a newly issued National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Municipal Stormwater permit, which regulates the discharge of stormwater runoff to the City's separate storm sewer, which drains directly to local waterways.
Documents related to the NPDES permit submittal process to the Department of Ecology are as follows:
March 31, 2013 Submittals