• City of Tacoma QA
  • City of Tacoma Data

Code Compliance

Code Compliance

The Neighborhood and Community Services Department's Code Compliance Section's mission is to help in maintaining compliance with the Tacoma Municipal Code to protect the health, safety and welfare of the residents of the City of Tacoma.

Code Compliance handles the following types of issues:  To submit a request for any of the following, please click on the link to the right "Report a Code Compliance Issue" and select "Make a Request".

  • Poultry and Pigeons (TMC 5.30)
  • Public Nuisance Vehicles (TMC 8.23)
  • Public Nuisance Code (TMC 8.30)
  • Hazardous Trees/Site Distance Violation (TMC 8.30)
  • Construction Complaints (TMC 8.30)
  • Right of Way Violation (TMC 8.30)
  • Residential Parking Standards (TMC 8.30.050)
  • Graffiti (TMC 8.30 and TMC 8.120)
  • Noise Violations (TMC 8.122)
  • Substandard, Derelict and Dangerous Buildings (TMC 2.01)
  • Stop Work Orders (TMC 8.30 and TMC 2.02)
  • Residential Rental Inspection (Title 6)
  • Tax and License Compliance (Title 6)
  • Land Use Enforcement (Title 13)

Common Violations

Nuisance Properties

Nuisance properties may have large piles of junk and debris and may have overgrown vegetation.  These types of properties are a health and sanitation hazard, a fire hazard and a good place for rodents to live and breed.

Public Nuisance Vehicles

Public nuisance vehicles are vehicles that are apparently inoperable, three years or older, extensively damaged and worth less than the value of scrap.  They are unsightly, can contribute to more blight in the neighborhood and provide a harborage for illegal activity and rodents.

Unfit Buildings

Unfit buildings are buildings which are not safe for people to live in.  Often times, these properties are abandoned.  These buildings can be unsafe places where children choose to play or homeless people may camp.

Abandoned Vehicles

Abandoned vehicles are vehicles left on the right of way that are an eyesore for the neighborhood and may present a safety issue for residents.  If you wish to learn more about abandoned vehicles please visit our Abandoned Autos page.

Contact Us
Phone: 311 or
(253) 591-5000

Report a Code Compliance Issue


Quick Links to Common Issues

Abandoned or neglected building

Graffiti on private property

Garbage or debris on private property

Overgrown vegetation on private property

 Note: You will receive automatic updates on the status of your complaint if you use a 311 account. 


Check the Status of a Code Violation

View Code Enforcement Violations by Address