

Proctor Neighborhood Planning

Steering Group – Meeting #8

May 11, 2023

5:00 – 6:15p.m.

ATTENDEES

Staff:

Lauren Hoogkamer, Neighborhood Planning

Anneka Olson, Neighborhood Planning

Charlotte Hevly, Neighborhood Planning

Alicia Lawver, Tacoma Public Schools

Steering Group:

Alayna Linde

Billy Frederick

Callie Stoker-Graham

Felicity Devlin

Gerrit Nyland

Georgette Reuter

Jodi Cook

Karl Cunningham

Karen Bowes

Matt Stevens

Michael Lafreniere

Nicholas Bond

Rebecca Rossi

Susan Boegli

AGENDA

- **Welcome and Icebreaker**
 - *Favorite park/open space in Tacoma?*

Lauren introduced the agenda and meeting goals. Part two of the conversation on open space is coming up on May 20th at 10 am in Puget Park.

- **Use of School Grounds – Alicia Lawver, Tacoma Public Schools**

Alicia: Outside of school hours, the default is open to public for school grounds. The only exception is with vandalism or drug paraphernalia. Fields and bowls are locked up for liability and asset protection. Middle Schools are open to the public outside of school hours

Lauren: We were wondering specifically about Hoyt, is that closed outside of school hours?

Alicia: Hoyt had to be shut down because they found hypodermic needles on the grounds which is unsafe for the preschool.

Lauren: When does that get reevaluated?

Alicia: There is not a set schedule, but it was a recent significant issue.

- **Q&A and Discussion**

Lauren: Any other questions from the group?

Felicity: During the summer, neighbors often go to Washington playground and find it shut.

Alicia: Summer programs also mean the playground is shut down but after program hours it would open to the public.

Felicity: I think sometimes it stays locked even after hours.

Alicia: If there's a trend, you can report it and we can resolve it.

Lauren: How should they report this?

Felicity: I had the same question.

Alicia: I can send the phone number for maintenance, who you would call.

Nick: Washington and Mason both have frequently been locked; it sounds like we just need to report it.

Alicia: If there's not an actual reason it could have been a mistake so it's good for us to know for education or training. I'll get you the number.

Georgette: Hoyt has two sections of the playground. The lower one seems like it's always locked.

Alicia: It could be that the lower one is the one that has the issue with needles. The policy is that its open unless there are issues, so if part of it has been open there must not have been issues.

Jodi: I am finding that school grounds have accessibility issues in terms of flat surfaces and seating. Are there any plans to work on that?

Alicia: There are spaces within the city that Parks partners with us this, but for school properties the focus is for school programming. When Parks comes in sometimes there's a partnership. Right now they're making sure everyone has a 10 minute walk to at least a neighborhood park so in some areas of the South and Eastside where there aren't those amenities, we've teamed up to provide those. So it depends on what's a park versus what's a school playground, and how we can spend our dollars.

Georgette: So you're designating some school playgrounds within the district as community parks?

Alicia: Community schoolyards is one of the designations out of Parks. So they've reached out to partner with us in areas of the city without adequate parks, we're working on creating community schoolyard parks which are a kind of a neighborhood park. So there's two about to go under construction and three others in the South and Eastside, which are some of the most underparked areas. Some of the Parks 10-minute walk goals.

Georgette: I know someone who works at Whitman and she was asking about when community schoolyard parks there would be starting up.

Alicia: These are in process, first work is happening at Reed and Stafford then Whitman next year.

Lauren: Is Proctor on the list?

Alicia: No, because it's based on who has parks, and Proctor does have parks.

Billy: Are school gyms available to the public?

Alicia: There are school programs and then after that someone has to rent the space to cover custodial costs. A community group could rent the gym to operate it for community drop-in, we could create a contract for facility use for that time period. The School District scope is student use.

Billy: Also, I think there is a walkable track at Mason for people with accessibility needs.

Felicity: Are there also programs with the Trust for Public Lands (TPL) to create these schoolyards?

Alicia: They are part of the partnership for community schoolyards.

Alicia: I will get back to you with the number to call about unlocking grounds outside of school hours.

Jodi: Can families plan an event on school grounds? Is this a registered use?

Alicia: I might have to follow up on this. We don't have BBQ facilities, and I don't know if fires are allowed. There's no restrooms or handwashing and you can't run dogs. School grounds do not have park amenities, but you can picnic without registering an event.

Lauren: But you can rent?

Alicia: I haven't heard of this specifically, but you can rent fields. We don't usually get asked about renting a playground. I'll send a link to the facilities use page.

Lauren: Is there a calendar to see if the park is open?

Alicia: I don't think so, but I could see if something like this is feasible.

- **Program Updates, Neighborhood Planning Staff**

Lauren: Reviewed program housekeeping. We have a flyer and event page on Facebook for the June 3 Open House. Please go ahead and share this information with your networks. We will have free food, giveaways, resource tables, and opportunities for engagement. We will have an interpreter and translated materials for Russian and Ukrainian speakers. We will have a variety of activities. Felicity, is there anything you need for the bookmarks?

Felicity: Bookmark materials are from the library. If they need to be comped, can they?

Lauren: If it's City of Tacoma they may not need to be but we can work that out with them.

Georgette: When will set up be for tables?

Lauren: Come in at 9 am. We have to be out right at 2 pm because there's an event.

Georgette: Can we highlight the opportunity to get a library card? Maybe a prize for kids with library cards?

Lauren: The Library is one of the tables.

Felicity: Do we have enough staff?

Lauren: Neighborhood planning table will have sign up for volunteers and other tables will staff their own table.

Felicity: Will we still have the doors open?

Lauren: Yes, we will.

Jodi: We want people to provide their input on the survey, but I don't see that on the list.

Lauren: Our table will have the large poster boards for responding by adding sticky notes including in English, Russian, and Ukrainian.

Georgette: How are we going to advertise the event? I suggested a mailer. We should also have flyers at the library, and share it on websites for organizations.

Lauren: We will have it shared various ways. We can talk more about a mailer later in the meeting.

Georgette: Those of us who are doing door to door outreach can also hand out flyers for the event.

Lauren: Yes, flyers will be at the library and you can take them door to door.

- Recap

- Open House, June 3rd
- Daffodil Parade
- Winter Summary

Charlotte gave a summary of winter engagement.

Lauren: You also got this full document in in your emails as a pdf.

- Depave and tree-planting outreach

Anneka: We initially had a May 1 deadline for sign up for the depave but we haven't had a huge response. One of the sticking points is cost of removal which city isn't able to cover. This is one potential area for fundraising. We are still moving forward with the business owners who are interested.

Billy: Coming out of the pandemic, cost is a barrier. Is there \$50,000 benchmarked for Proctor Planning? Could this be one of those projects to help out with those costs?

Lauren: That could be one potential project.

Georgette: Outside of library trees are removed but not replanted. Should we put up a sign to let people know new trees are coming? Could we review which businesses have signed up and an estimate for removal of trees?

Lauren: I'll check with Depave about the library. We can get a cost estimate.

Billy: A handful of people have signed up. We can't plant until fall. If I had done that, I would've been required to backfill with dirt. It's hypocritical that the City isn't required to do the same thing.

Georgette: It is a safety concern.

Lauren: We'll ask the Depave staff about those holes.

Jodi: What is the cost of removal?

Billy: Depends on trees and surrounds but could be \$1,000-\$2,000.

Jodi: Can we get a budget to make a decision about funding it?

Billy: Yes. We're responsible for tree, stump, iron work so we need an estimate for that.

Jodi: It's important to get trees in the ground, this is a priority for funding.

Billy: Funding doesn't have to cover 100% of the costs. If businesses pay some of the cost they have skin in the game to take care of trees.

Karl: I can pass along the information of someone who did a tree in my yard.

Anneka: Next step (Billy has been working with Shauna on this) is for Proctor BDA to get a contractor.

Matt Stevens: I heard about the potential for impact fees for trees – could this work in Proctor?

Lauren: We'll take that information back and follow up.

Jodi: We have a tree planting event coming up in November, so it's good timing to remove dead trees before this in surrounding neighborhoods like along Union (not just in the Business District).

Lauren: Gave an overview of upcoming volunteer opportunities. We will put out a sign up for these events. We are also looking for someone to join a volunteer on outreach.

Anneka: The person who needs a partner is not a Steering Group member but would like to go out with someone else.

Lauren: Will be going back to Proctor Station with next phase.

Rebecca: I will try to schedule a meeting with Madison25 as well.

Lauren: Gave an overview of the schedule for upcoming meetings and events.

Georgette: Should it be called the Cushman Street Fair?

Lauren: We might be waiting to hear from TPU on the connection of the fair to Cushman.

Jodi: NENC is still going forward with the street fair. We'll have to see where we are in the process, but it should be called the Cushman Street Fair.

Lauren: Will NENC take feedback about Cushman at the event even if the City won't have restarted their own engagement?

Jodi: The process was supposed to restart and it hasn't. We only want to go forward with a robust public engagement period. We want to restart engagement and January of 2024 isn't good enough weather to have good engagement events. We'll hoping that they'll see that this is a great event.

Lauren: We also want to go ahead and are waiting for TPU as well. We would love to see a street fair, whether or not its about Cushman. We are hoping for more guidance from TPU in the next couple of weeks.

Jodi: Winter is a nonstarter for public engagement.

Lauren: We're not allowed to move forward with the consultant for engagement until we get the go ahead from Council and TPU.

Billy: Are we talking about Proctor or NENC and Cushman?

Lauren: We're talking about a Neighborhood Planning event that involves Cushman.

Billy: If you're looking to table, Proctor Arts Fest is coming up in August.

Lauren: We hope to have a table at Proctor Arts Fest.

Billy: Can you or someone else connect with me? We've got all of our vendors and booths already. Our deadline was 3 weeks ago.

Lauren: I didn't see the call for tables, I apologize. I will get in contact with you to straighten that out.

- Recap of last meeting, walk, and follow-up survey

Charlotte gave a recap of Steering Group survey responses following the meeting with Urban Design.

Lauren: We have a consultant doing a feasibility study on a Festival street who is exploring this feedback.

Nick: I might have originated festival street comment. There are controls that could allow closure that also allow busses. We are planning a woonerf. This is what I meant by my comment. I can send a design manual on woonerfs.

Lauren: Please send us the manual. This comment is a combination of many comments. We will do a walk and talk with the consultant and talk more.

Billy: There is a festival street in Lincoln, which is not a permanent close-off. From the BDA, there was a lot of pushback. If there is a plan to close a street permanently, there will be a lot of pushback from business owners.

Lauren: We received requests for 26th and 27th but the consultant will do a closer analysis.

Billy: Is this coming out of the \$50,000 budget?

Lauren: No, our consultant is on board for the whole Proctor Plan.

Anneka: We talked to our consultant to figure out what more information is needed before moving forward. This is just to assess feasibility and bring together resources, see what impacts are.

Billy: What streets are they looking at?

Anneka: Probably all of the streets in the Business District. No decisions will be made without community input. Their analysis will be based on criteria like what types of uses front on the street, traffic counts, street width etc.

Matt: The idea is to shut down the arterial to slow traffic.

Anneka: That can be considered and discussed as part of the analysis.

Michael: I'm trying to understand the second bullet point on concerns about excessive design requirements. Does this represent some collective view of all of use?

Charlotte: No, I'm just recapping what people submitted on the survey, so that represents one comment made by an individual.

Michael: So that's just a single comment?

Charlotte: These are all just comments from the survey. These survey responses will not go in the plan, we're just going over what we've heard from individuals. Sometimes many people said the same thing, but if just one person made a comment I've included that as well.

Anneka: And when we say survey, this is from the Steering Group. The follow up surveys are just from this group because sometimes people are shy, so we like to report back on what we heard from this group.

Michael: Right. But I responded to the survey and my one comment was about a concern of a lack of design guidelines.

Lauren: We heard your comment and we have more slides to come.

Michael: So I'm wondering why this is called out.

Charlotte: The section about characteristics that people value in Proctor inform that discussion of design as well.

Charlotte gave a recap of Steering Group survey responses following the meeting with Historic Preservation.

Georgette: I'm surprised that in the characteristics listed on the slide, it doesn't mention that all of the buildings are almost 100 years old and have interesting histories related to the development of the city. That's why we have the walk and the survey.

Lauren: These are characteristics of buildings or urban design, but we have definitely heard you on the importance of Proctor history. This is specifically the survey that was done during the walk. This is just the feedback of that handout of what was seen in the buildings on the walk.

Lauren: We're short on time, so I am going to keep moving. With regards to our process: our next step will be a long working meeting to capture top priorities. There will also be more community engagement after we've identified priority actions.

Michael: I'm not seeing it reflect that there was an expressed concern about the lack of design guidelines.

Lauren: We did get the comment about the need for design guidelines. We've captured this in the characteristics you want to see. So it might not have been the language of design guidelines, but it was in what characteristics you want to see.*

*Staff also followed up on this concern via email to clarify that the terms on the slide were characteristics to encourage through design guidelines.

Lauren: Gave an overview of next steps for engagement events. We are thinking of a mailer for the next phase rather than sending two mailers for the same phase of engagement.

Lauren: We are proposing a 2-hour meeting on June 15. Unless there is a major community event, we will be sticking with this date. The conversation will be based on your values and priorities and moderated by Makers.

Alayna: Will there be a call-in option?

Lauren: We will have to see, but may be pre work and a post survey. We can explore a hybrid option.

Billy: Why isn't it at our normal date?

Anneka: We moved it back a week because we want to get feedback from the Open House event before moving on to prioritization.

Lauren: And we need to have the Russian and Ukrainian feedback translated.

Lauren: Reviewed options for deciding on Community Booster Projects.

Anneka: In McKinley we took project ideas based on feasibility and cost, and the group narrowed it down before we brought it to the community to vote (in person and online). You could also set up an open call for grants where people apply, and we select an organization to implement. There is also a hybrid option between these options.

Lauren: Any initial thoughts? We can do a vote by survey later; this is just early discussion.

Karl: I like the idea of asking people if they need assistance with adding ADUs. We could add more housing and density without majorly affecting community.

Rebecca: I prefer taking this to the community rather than making the decision without input. I think it should be a public process of some kind.

Billy: Agreed.

Felicity: I agree that it would be a community-building process to take it back out to get community buy-in

Billy: So in McKinley, the Steering Group selected four and then community was able to choose one?

Anneka: There could also be an option to fund more than one.

Lauren: We will be sending out information about next steps.

• **Next Steps**

- Project Prioritization
- Community Booster Grant
- Draft Plan Engagement (Summer/Fall)
- Parks Walk & Talk, May 20th @ 10:30am, Puget Park

• **Meeting Follow-ups**

- Sent Open House flyer to Peachjar
- Contacted Public Works to invite a Transportation Master Plan outreach table to the June 3 Open House
- Will send TPS contact number for locked school grounds to Steering Group
- Followed up with Environmental Services about signage or fill for holes from tree removal outside Library
- Cost estimate for tree removal
- Follow up with Public Works about potential impact fees for tree removal and replacement costs
- Sent Woonerf street design manual to mobility consultant
- Emailed to secure a slot for tabling at Proctor Arts Fest

DRAFT 2023 Calendar

Month	Topic	Speaker	Engagement
January	Topic Prioritization Part 2 - <i>Update on program/SG meeting timeline; revisit program values</i>		Targeted engagement meetings Library / UPS display Promotions Depave meeting

February	Affordable Housing & Displacement	Home in Tacoma/ Affordable Housing Action Strategy	Targeted engagement meetings
March	Ped Safety & Comfort Depave	Public Works Tacoma Public Schools Traffic Consultant	Door-to-door Online survey with 4 priorities
April	Human Scale Design	Urban Design Studio	Jr. Daffodil Parade, April 22nd Historic Preservation Walk, April 29 th TPL Earth Day Scavenger Hunt
May	Outdoor Community Space, Parks & Trails	Tacoma Public Schools	Tabling/Door to Door Parks Walk & Talk, May 20th
June	Project Prioritization 1;		Review Public Comments June 3 rd Open House Event
July	Project Prioritization 2		Mailer to promote summer event
August	Project ideas Implementation Discussion (Community Booster Project)		Community Event: Draft Plan Proctor Arts Fest; Farmers' Market table Social Pinpoint
September	Review Community Feedback		Sept. 9 th Cushman Street Fair