Solid Waste Management receives garbage from Tacoma residents and businesses—curbside and self-haul. In addition, some Pierce County residents and businesses bring their garbage to the Tacoma Landfill. All the garbage that comes to the Tacoma Landfill goes into a compactor, then it is hauled in semi tractor-trailers to a landfill in Graham.
Tacoma Landfill Hours and Directions
8 AM - 6 PM, every day, except holidays
3510 South Mullen Street
Tacoma, WA 98409
- From I-5: Take Exit 132 and merge onto SR-16. Take Exit 1C Fircrest/Center Street. At the traffic light, go straight onto South Mullen Street and follow the road until you reach the landfill.
- From Orchard Street: Turn onto South Center Street going east. Turn right onto South Mullen Street and follow the road until you reach the landfill.
Landfill Rules and Guidelines
For the benefit of you and landfill employees, follow these rules and tips when taking loads to the Tacoma Landfill:
- Secure your load - Uncovered or unsecured loads are illegal and are hazardous on the road and at the landfill. Unsecured loads may incur additional fees.
- Show proof of residency - To be eligible for the City residential rate, you must show a current Washington state driver’s license or ID showing a City address that receives City residential solid waste service in your name. Or you can bring a picture ID along with a current City utility bill showing an address that receives residential solid waste service in your name.
- Bag or wet down items that create large amounts of dust - Items such as drywall, insulation, dirt, sod and sawdust produce excessive amounts of dust that is harmful for customers and employees to inhale. Dusty loads that are improperly contained may be rejected or incur additional fees.
- Separate recyclables and household hazardous waste from the rest of the load - The Tacoma Landfill offers designated areas to unload reusable household items and building materials, general recyclables, household hazardous waste and appliances.
- Avoid the rush - Typically, 11 AM to 1 PM on weekdays and after 10 AM on weekends are the busiest times at the landfill.
- Observe the speed limit
- No smoking
- No pets outside of vehicle
- No scavenging
- No hazardous material
- Follow employee instruction
- Follow signs
- Look out for pedestrians in the area
For more information, email or call Administration (253) 591-5543 (Monday - F, 8 AM - 5 PM) or Scalehouse (253) 593-7724 (daily, 8 AM - 6 PM)
To schedule a tour of the Landfill, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call Administration (253) 591-5543 (Monday - Friday, 8 AM - 5 PM) or Scalehouse (253) 593-7724 (Daily, 8 AM - 6 PM).