Green Building and Sustainable Living
Green building is a way to approach the design, construction and operation of your home that allows for the least negative impact to our environment while providing you with a healthier living space.
Green building and sustainable living involves using premium building materials and products that create a healthier, more energy-efficient and water-efficient home:
- More durable materials
- Low-toxic paints
- Energy Star appliances
- Energy-efficient lighting
- Water-saving fixtures
- Renewable and recycled-content products
Why Go Green?
The responsibility for sustaining our world as a healthy environment rests with us all. By incorporating green building and sustainable living practices, you’ll provide for our needs now and the needs of future generations.
- Improved air quality
- Natural light
- Natural, low-toxic materials
Money: Good for Your Wallet
- Energy- and water-efficient (lower utility bills)
- Durable, low-maintenance materials
- Marketable for resale
Environment: Good for the Planet
- Minimize waste
- Reuse and recycle
How Do You Go Green?
- Identify what aspects of green building/sustainable living are important to you.
- Talk with a professional (contractor, architect, landscaper, real estate agent) about building and living green.
- Ask your local supplier to stock green building products.
Go Green Now Without the Commitment of a Major Remodel or Building Project
Here are five easy ways to get started:
- Use low or no volatile organic compounds
(VOC) paint, adhesives, and finishes.
- Install compact fluorescent bulbs.
- Install water-saving devices.
- Select Energy Star appliances and furnaces.
- Use products with renewable and recycled content.