There are hundreds of success stories floating around in our City of Destiny. As the urban heart of the South Puget Sound, Tacoma is not just your destiny, it's also your destination. Whether it's starting or expanding your business, buying a home, finding your dream job or simply enjoying the picturesque water and mountain views or the amenities of our revitalized downtown and neighborhoods - Tacoma has what you need.
This is one of the most exciting times in our city's history, where the skyline seems to be changing daily. Droves of people are discovering Tacoma and describing us as one of the Northwest's best kept secrets with our big city attractions, and our small-town feel.
Come check us out for yourself to see why people are saying that the 253 is the place to be.
Here are just a few pieces of the Tacoma Advantage:
- Tacoma has a fantastic housing stock with the homes in our residential neighborhoods and several new condominium and townhome developments in our downtown.
- Community members have banded together to reclaim the hearts of the downtown and their neighborhoods. People who live in Tacoma believe in Tacoma.
- Tacoma is affordable--whether you're looking to expand your business or relocate to a new home, you'll find plenty of options in Tacoma.
- Tacoma is known for our Higher Education amenities.
- Washington Department of Transportation Studies show that Tacoma commuters spend 40 hours less per year in their cars than Seattle commuters.
- We're an international transportation hub with our quick and easy access to Sea-Tac International Airport, the Port of Tacoma, Tacoma Rail, and our quick access to BNSF and Union Pacific Railways.
- The cost of doing business in Tacoma is approximately 30 percent less than other major cities - and businesses are obviously thriving here.
- Our Community and Economic Development Department helps business owners with tax breaks and incentives.
- Developers are describing Tacoma's market with one word - HOT. The development continuum we create to help you get an answer on your commercial building permit says Tacoma means business.
- Office occupancy costs are less in Tacoma -- lease rates, insurance, taxes, utilities and parking -- a direct savings to your bottom line. Our Community and Economic Development Department can also help you find the perfect location for your business (including economic and demographic information).
- Working in America's #1 Wired City means that if you're not wired, you're not with it. Our 700 miles of fiber optic cable creates a state-of-the-art network, and brings the world to your office or residence in the blink of an eye.
- Pierce County and especially Tacoma are a dream come true for recreationalists with water, mountain and urban adventures right at your fingertips.
- New shopping, and restaurants featuring international cuisine keep our visitors and residents entertained and well fed.
- Our downtown attractions include the Tacoma Dome; the University of Washington, Tacoma; the breathtaking Union Station; the Museum District; our Convention Center; and the Theater District.
- Our investment to clean up the Thea Foss Waterway has led to a renaissance in this area, creating a true waterfront downtown with a host of retail and residential space, and recreational opportunities along the esplanade.
- Our LINK Light Rail unites so many of our downtown amenities, making living and working here a snap. Businesses have seen a dramatic increase in their customer counts since the light rail opened. Who can beat a train that runs just about every ten minutes...especially, when it's free.
For more information about the Tacoma Advantage, contact the Community and Economic Development Department at (253) 591-5364.
For questions or comments regarding this web page please contact the Community Relations Office.