The City of Tacoma has been planning improvements to the existing Fire Station No. 5, located at 3301 Ruston Way. The project is part of the Tacoma Fire Department’s (TFD) strategic plan to create a joint use facility for public safety agencies. This will enhance the maritime response capabilities for the Commencement Bay and south Puget Sound area.
Major components of the project include:
• Removal of a portion of the existing pier and piles. Installation of a new float system and gangway for moorage of emergency service vessels.
• Structural improvements to the existing building and pier structure, and remodel of the station for joint public safety use.
• Addition of a new upland apparatus bay and site improvements for an emergency service vehicle.
• Concept Renderings
• The project is currently in the design and permitting phase.
• Permit applications have been submitted for a Shoreline Substantial Development Permit and Wildlife Habitat Conservation Area Development Permit. For additional information on the permit log onto http://govme.org and select “Permit Information” then “Land Use notices”.
• Construction of the project is anticipated to begin as early as August 2012. Permitting and fish window requirements may require construction of the project to start in August 2013.
• $3,000,000 through 2009 City of Tacoma Bond Funding.
• $1,088,000 through FEMA Port Security Grant Funding.
• $4,088,000 total project funding.
The existing facility was constructed in 1980. No major maintenance or renovations have been done on the structure since its original construction. The existing facility is located overwater in a marine environment which has deteriorated a majority of the timber bracing and several of the timber piles that support the structure.
• Vicinity Map
• Brief History
For more information about the project, please contact:
Joshua Clarke, Public Works Project Manager, at (253) 591-5395 or email@example.com
Roger Edington, Fire Medical Services Officer, at (253) 591-5705 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Email contact for this web page: Karrie Spitzer