Information for Businesses / Schedule / News / Project Design / Public Input /
PACIFIC AVENUE STREETSCAPE PROJECT
Construction Schedule & Progress: May 22, 2013
S. 9th to S. 13th Streets, East Side
• Vault Infill: The vault infill at 1007 Pacific Avenue will be completed this week. This will be followed by a TPU installation of a water service at this location and the reconstruction of the sidewalk.
• Concrete Stairs/Planters: Due to aesthetic concerns, the planters recently constructed between S. 11th and S. 12th St. cannot be accepted by the City. These will be removed and reconstructed in the coming weeks. The City will work with the contractor to assure this work is completed in a timely fashion.
• Traffic Control/Parking: Orange barrels defining the northbound lanes will remain in place until paving is completed later this summer. All parking areas that are safe to use have been made available to the public. The parking stalls adjacent to the planters/stairs between S. 11th and S. 12th St. will remain closed to parking until this work is complete.
S. 7th to S. 9th Streets, West Side
• Sidewalks: The sidewalk is closed. An alternate route has been installed adjacent to the traffic barrier. Underground storage tank removal is planned for today, new sidewalk placement and the installation of silva cells is ongoing. Curb and gutter installation will follow in the next two weeks.
• Electrical: Conduit installation for the historic lights and the catenary lighting system has begun.
• Rain Garden: Rain garden construction is underway at S. 7th St., storm sewer work is ongoing at S. 9th St., excavation of the rain garden will follow.
S. 9th to S. 11th Streets, West Side
• Utility Improvements: The orange traffic barrier has been extended south to accommodate the Utility project in the vicinity of the Park Plaza North Garage. This work, is not part of the Pacific Ave. project, but will be coordinated between City staff and contractors. The Utility project is approximately two weeks in duration.
SOUTHBOUND SCHUSTER PARKWAY CLOSURE
As part of the Stadium Way project, southbound Schuster Parkway will be closed at S. 4th St. beginning May 28 and extending through July 19. The closure will be from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Monday through Friday. One southbound lane will be open after 9 p.m. Traffic to downtown and/or I-705 will be detoured via S. 4th St./Dock St./S. 15th St.
The Schuster Parkway sidewalk will be closed to pedestrians for 2-3 weeks during the road closure. Signs will be in place notifying pedestrians when the sidewalk is closed. The pedestrian detour will be the same as the vehicle detour.
***The contractor will not be working July 4 to July 7. The sidewalk and one southbound lane will remain open at all times during this period.***
For additional information, including a detour plan, go to cityoftacoma.org/stadiumway.
Thank you for your patience and cooperation during this project.
For additional information contact, Mark D'Andrea at (253) 591-5518 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Downtown’s getting a Facelift! The Pacific Avenue Streetscape Project includes beautification and innovative stormwater improvements to improve the business opportunities and livability of Downtown’s core street. The project area includes the entire Pacific Avenue right-of-way from South 7th to South 17th Street and includes; new sidewalks, street lighting, paving, bike sharrows, green stormwater infrastructure including 14 new raingardens, and new landscaping including 129 trees, 817 shrubs and over 3,000 new plants.
Construction work is anticipated to begin in early November with striping of additional parking spaces along Pacific Avenue side streets. Construction will be shut down for the Holiday Season from Thanksgiving to New Years. Upon restart on Jan. 2nd, the project will be constructed in phases beginning with South 9th to South 13th Street, South 7th to South 9th Street, and finishing with South 13th to South 17th Street. Each phase will begin on one side of the right-of-way and when complete transition to the other side. Paving from 7th to 13th will be performed following the first two phases and paving from 13th to 17th will follow Phase 3. Pedestrian access and two lanes of traffic will be maintained during construction and there will be access for emergency vehicles and local traffic at all times.
The only road closure on the project will be S. 8th Street between Pacific Avenue and Court A for the installation of the cobblestone intersection at S. 8th Street and Pacific Avenue. Please see below graphic image for the associated Detour Plan.
There are two primary project components:
1) Innovative or “green” storm water treatment facilities to improve water quality; and
2) Streetscape design to create a more inviting and “complete” street for all users: drivers, adjacent businesses, pedestrians, bicyclists and transit riders.
The project will be designed to support the existing downtown environment of today and a denser future downtown environment by reallocating the use of the street right-of-way to accommodate the new storm water system and multimodal use of the street. The streetscape design will integrate innovative storm water improvements such as rain gardens, water features and plantings.
Construction will be complete in 2013
• August 2012 Advertise for Bids
• Fall 2012 Award Contract & Begin Construction
• December 2013 Complete Construction
Email contact for this web page: email@example.com