Every-other-week garbage collection is being implemented in phases. Only about 5,700 single-family households in a portion of North Tacoma will make the switch in March. Customers will automatically receive double their garbage capacity. Customers will receive advance notice by mail and phone prior to a collection change in their area.
Solid Waste Management is rolling out every-other-week garbage collection in phases to residents living in single-family homes and duplexes. Currently residents receive this service on a weekly basis. Garbage and recycling will be collected one week and yard/food waste will be collected the following week.
Customers will be able to throw away the same amount of garbage as before. They will automatically receive double their current garbage capacity with either a new double-sized container or a second same-sized container.Here's an idea of what to expect:
Current container size: 20 gallon = New container size: 45 gallon•
Current container size: 30 gallon = New container size: 60 gallon•
Current container size: 60 gallon = New container size: Two-60 gallon•
Current container size: 90 gallon = New container size: Two-90 gallon
WHEN & WHERE:
Solid Waste Management is rolling out the switch to every-other-week garbage collection in phases through November 2013. Customers will receive advance notice by mail and phone.
Here’s a general timeline — subject to change — for when and where Solid Waste Management plans to implement the switch to every-other-week garbage collection:
• Monday garbage customers: March (map of area affected) / April (map of area affected)
• Tuesday garbage customers: June / July
• Wednesday garbage customers: August / September
• Thursday garbage customers: October / November
• Friday garbage customers: April / May
WHY: Benefits of switching to every-other-week collection include:
• Reduces waste and increases recycling
• Reduces vehicle emissions and carbon footprint
• Increases collection efficiency (labor, time, maintenance)
• Helps stabilize future solid waste rates
Who should I contact with additional questions?
City of Tacoma Solid Waste Management: (253) 591-5543, firstname.lastname@example.org (M-F, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.)