- Sept. 15, 2011
- Members of the City Council
City of Tacoma, Washington
Dear Council Members:
TOPICS OF INTEREST
1. Community and Economic Development Director Ryan Petty forwards information regarding the Planning Commission’s recommendations for amendments to the Shoreline Master Program and Land Use Regulatory Code. The Council will be briefed on the Commission's recommendations at the Study Session on September 27th. The proposed amendments will modify shoreline environment designations and shoreline district boundaries; integrate and revise critical areas development standards in accordance with the use preferences of the Shoreline Management Act; revise public access standards to delineate between public and private properties and to incorporate an evaluation process for nexus and proportionality tests; create a new Public Access Alternatives Plan that identifies existing and potential public access to the shoreline and provides a framework for implementation of public access objectives; revise uses and development standards to achieve no net loss of ecological functions as new use and development occurs; create new elements of the Shoreline Master Program, including a Shoreline Restoration Plan and policies and standards for vegetation conservation and water quality; establish design guidelines for the Thea Foss Waterway; and, update shoreline permit procedures. The recommended amendments and support information can be viewed at www.cityoftacoma.org/shorelineupdate. A hardcopy has been provided in your mail packets.
2. Ryan Petty forwards the invitation to the Fuzhou Ting (pavilion) Dedication Ceremony scheduled for Thursday, September 22nd, at 2:00 p.m., on the site of the Tacoma Chinese Reconciliation Park, and to the pre-dedication Welcome Reception for Vice-Mayor Chen Qi of Fuzhou, China and his delegation, scheduled for Wednesday, September 21st, at 6:00-7:30 p.m., at the Courtyard Marriott.
3. The Community and Economic Development Department provides a copy of the announcement for the South Downtown Property and Business Owner Workshop on Tuesday, September 20th, from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m., at the University of Washington-Tacoma. The workshop will help the City, Hillside Development Council, University of Washington-Tacoma, and other stakeholders identify and prioritize Dome and Brewery Districts’ future development and growth opportunities.
STUDY SESSION/WORK SESSION
4. The City Council Study Session of Tuesday, September 20, 2011, will be held in Room 16 of the Tacoma Municipal Building North. Discussion items will be: (1) Washington State Department of Transportation Point Defiance Bypass Update; (2) Digital Subscription Tool; (3) Other Items of Interest; and (4) Agenda Review.
At Tuesday’s Study Session Washington State Department of Transportation staff will provide Council an update on the Point Defiance Bypass Project.
As a second item at the September 20th Study Session, Council will be provided a brief demonstration of a digital subscription tool from GovDelivery.com which the City plans to begin using to help improve ongoing communications and outreach to Tacoma residents.
5. The updated Tentative Council Study Session, Workshop and Town Hall Meeting Calendar is attached for your information.
6. Ryan Petty provides the attached memorandum, in response to Council inquiries about the City’s efforts to improve code enforcement procedures for historically significant buildings, including the implementation of its Historic Preservation Plan and inventory of historic properties. In order to better protect Tacoma’s historic buildings from unnecessary demolition, while continuing to address and remediate derelict and dangerous buildings, City staff from Public Works Code Enforcement and Community and Economic Development Building and Land Use Services are collaborating on changes to procedures, policies and amendments to existing code. These measures represent several approaches that will occur on multiple timelines.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS
7. You have been invited to the following events:
• Fuzhou Ting pre-dedication Welcome Reception for Vice Mayor Chen Qi and his delegation from Fuzhou, China on Wednesday, September 21st, 6:00 p.m., at the Courtyard Marriot Hotel, located at 1515 Commerce Street.
• Dedication of the Fuzhou Ting for the Chinese Reconciliation Park on Thursday, September 22nd, 2:00 p.m., at 1741 Schuster Parkway.
• Change of Command Ceremony between Major Jerry D. Hallman, outgoing commander, and Lieutenant Colonel V.L. Armstrong, incoming commander on Sunday, September 25th, 2:00 p.m., at Colby Schwab Reserve Center, located at 9700 Tank Trail Road, Joint Base Lewis-McChord.
• Series of Workshop Sessions to brainstorm and discuss the Past, Present, and Future of the Foss Waterway hosted by the Foss Waterway Development Authority on Tuesday, September 27th, Wednesday, September 28th, and Thursday, September 29th, 8:00 a.m. each day, at the Esplanade Condominiums Retail Space, located at 1515 Dock Street.
• Business Leadership in a Time of Change, Annual Dinner, hosted by Pioneer Human Services on Thursday, September 29th, 6:00 p.m., at the Museum of Flight, located at 9404 East Marginal Way South, Seattle.
• Nisqually Land Trust’s Annual Membership Meeting and Salmon Bake on Sunday, September 18th, 4:00 p.m., at Odd Fellows Park, located at 6500 79th Avenue Northeast, Olympia.
Interim City Manager