Garbage / Recycling / Yard & Garden / Hazardous Waste
Landfill Services / Reduce & Reuse / Contact Us
Do you need to dispose of large household items that won’t fit in your garbage container? Consider using Call-2-Haul, a curbside bulk collection service available to Solid Waste Management residential customers living in a single-family home or duplex.
Available by appointment twice a year, the Call-2-Haul service picks up large, unusable household items that are not part of the weekly garbage collection. A self-haul option is also available to those customers who would rather drop off their load at the Tacoma Landfill.
There is no additional charge for Call-2-Haul service. It is included as a part of your residential garbage service.
Accepted / not accepted
How to schedule an appointment
Call-2-Haul accepted / not accepted items
Whether for curbside collection or self-haul to the landfill, here are lists of the most common accepted and not-accepted items for Call-2-Haul service.
Call-2-Haul — YES
- Up to three large items such as:
- Appliances (refrigerators, stoves, water heaters, washer/dryers, etc.)
- Barbecues (no propane tanks)
- Carpet (large rolls, limit of 6 feet in length and 1 foot in diameter)
- Furniture (sofas, chairs, tables, shelving, mattresses, patio sets, etc.)
- Non-working electronics other than TVs, computers and monitors
- Power yard equipment (remove oil/gas, no riding mowers)
- Recreation/exercise equipment (bikes, skis, treadmills, etc.)
- Up to 15 boxes and bags of smaller household items such as:
- Vacuum cleaners, strollers, lawn chairs, clothing, toys, etc.
Each bag or box should be light enough for one person to lift.
Call-2-Haul — NO
If you leave the following items curbside, they will not be picked up. If you bring them to the landfill, you will be charged the normal disposal fees. Some of these items may be recycled through private recyclers. Find listings in the phone book under “Recycling Services.”
- Car/truck/boat/motorcycle/camper parts
- Computers, laptops, monitors (recycle for free)
- Construction/demolition/remodeling materials
- Glass, glass-top tables
- Hazardous materials/waste (drop off at Household Hazardous Waste Facility)
- Items from businesses (machines, furniture, etc.)
- Regular household garbage or recyclables (drop off at Landfill or Recycling Center)
- Tires (accepted at the Tacoma Landfill for a fee)
- TVs (recycle for free)
- Vehicles, canopies, trailers
- Vehicle seats
- Yard waste
How to schedule a Call-2-Haul appointment
Customers living in a single-family home or duplex may schedule up to two Call-2-Haul appointments a year. Customers may use their two appointments for either curbside collection or self-haul to the Tacoma Landfill. Both options require a phone call or an online service request first.
Before you contact us, consider donating reusable items to a charity, or give away or sell them at www.2good2toss.com. Sharing usable items saves room in the landfill, which is great for the environment.
Schedule your appointment:
- Phone: Call (253) 573-2468 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. weekdays. Solid Waste Management staff will ask about the items you want collected and explain how they should be prepared for either pickup or haul-in.
Make sure to check our lists of items accepted and not accepted.
Curbside — we pick up
Solid Waste Management will pick up your items curbside at your home. Schedule an appointment and please follow these guidelines when setting out your items:
- Make sure your items are acceptable for pickup.
- Place your items neatly along the curb by 7 a.m. on your scheduled pickup day or the night before.
- Please don't set items out on the curb until your scheduled pickup day. Otherwise, your items may get rummaged through or items added, which may result in the load not being picked up. This also keeps your items from being an eyesore in your neighborhood.
Self-haul — you drop off
Self-haul is an option if you’d like to drop off your items at the Tacoma Landfill. Self-haul counts toward your two appointments a year, which is included in your garbage service. An appointment and proof of your residency is required when you arrive. To schedule your appointment, call (253) 573-2468 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. weekdays.
Did you know? Call-2-Haul collects an average of 2,200 tons of junk a year from more than 11,300 households.
E-mail web questions for this page: Media and Communications